Why are Greenhouses Glazed with Polycarbonate?
For decades, hobby greenhouses have been synonymous with the combination of aluminum and glass. However, in the last few years the glass has to a great extent been substituted by a new high grade material – polycarbonate. The advantage of polycarbonate is that it has an insulating effect, so the temperature in the greenhouse will be more even and create a better growing habitat. All Juliana polycarbonate is UV stabilized for long life.
Obviously, glass panes are subject to breakage. Polycarbonate, on the other hand, is virtually unbreakable against hail, baseballs, and rocks. Polycarbonate is lightweight and ribbed to provide a diffused, UV protecting light which enhances plant growth and helps aid in temperature control. Sheets of polycarbonate as supplied with Juliana Greenhouses are constructed with top and bottom layers connected by ribbed channels (see sketch below) which is why twin-wall polycarbonate has a lot of advantages compared to glass.
- Because of their construction, the sheets of polycarbonate have the insulating effect of thermo windows, and therefore the temperature in the greenhouse will be more even and the plants have better growing conditions.
- Polycarbonate is strong. It can resist, for instance, the weight of branches falling down and balls being thrown at it by playing children.
- Polycarbonate sheets are light and are supplied in the exact length needed, making it quick and easy to assemble.
- Construction with ribbed channels helps break the sunrays and thus the need of shading is decreased.
- The insulating effect of polycarbonate extends the growing season dramatically, and if you wish to heat the greenhouse, the loss of heat is decreased markedly.
- Sheets of polycarbonate are delivered in 5/32″ (4 mm) and 1/4″ (6 mm) widths according to the chosen greenhouse model. With all the sheets of polycarbonate, there are U-channels provided that protect the sheets against insects and dirt and ensure that any condensation in the poly-carbonate sheets is drained.
Basic, Mini and Cold Frames are supplied with 5/32″ (4 mm) Polycarbonate. Compact, Compact Plus, Carport, Premium, Gardener, and Lean-to are supplied with 1/4″ (6mm) Polycarbonate.
On the Basic and Mini models, the polycarbonate slides directly into the framing of the greenhouse. The Compact and Premium models have a plastic gasket system which is used to secure the panels to the frame. On the Lean-to’s and Gardener Series a silicone adhesive and spring clips are used to secure the polycarbonate.