Exerpt: (Click on image for complete article)
This is an excellent step-by-step article on building your own fish tank with lots of pictures!
Building your own Acrylic tank is a rewarding, cost saving, and enjoyable project. If you have basic carpentry & power tool skills you should have no trouble building your own beautiful Acrylic tank.
The tools required are as follows:
- A fixed base router (preferably one with at least 1.75 HP & ½” collet)
- A 2-flute, straight cut router bit (½” or larger diameter, and 1.25″ cutting length or more is preferred) ½” shank is also a plus, since these bits get very hot when cutting acrylic.
- A fixed straight edge (at least 2″ longer than your longest Acrylic piece)
- 2-C Clamps
- 2 PVC holding jigs (these will be detailed in the article)
- Door panel or similar flat work surface
- Syringe or solvent bottle (get a couple, they can fail at a bad time)
- WeldOn 4 Solvent cement (get a pint, better to have too much than not enough)